Cooking The Books Challenge January 2014: Key Lime and Lemon Cheesecake Loaf from A Lighter Way To B
Sunday 12th January 2014.
I had had a busy week and had been food shopping the previous Friday for stuff we’d run out of. I was in Morrisons in Wetherby, somewhere I don’t go that often and it was absolutely heaving. I’d found the last parking space in the car park and even then I had to drive around to find it. I had about 1/2 hour to run around the shop and eat a sandwich for my lunch. When I got in the shop it seemed like the whole of North Yorkshire was there. Not only that but it had a different layout to my local Morrisons and I ended up going out of the shop without half of the items on my list. One of those was some leaf gelatine which I needed to make our Sunday lunch pud with.
I was really keen to try out the Key Lime and Lemon Cheesecake Loaf from the Puddings and Desserts chapter as I love the flavour of Key Lime Pie. It serves 12 and a small slice was 239 calories which I thought is a massive saving compared to the usual full fat cheesecakes I have made in the past.
You know when there are some days when you think, why didn’t I just pick up a frozen cheesecake in the shop? Well this was one of those days. It started off well but I had to break off to drive my daughter to York. So with some gentle encouragement I asked her to help me with the digestive biscuit base. I then realised I had forgotten the gelatine for the cheesecake but would have no chance to get any. Would it set without it? Probably not!
My daughter was in charge of crushing the digestive biscuits. She enjoyed doing it as she made a divine mango cheesecake last year on her Catering GCSE course.
Crushed digestive biscuits mixed in with a little melted butter.
The cheesecake is meant to be made in a loaf tin. I asked my daughter to prepare the loaf tin with cling film while I got ready to take her into York. She said she preferred a circular one. Well as you can guess the digestive biscuits did not cover the bottom of the tin so we went back to the loaf tin we were meant to use in the first place!
The crushed digestive biscuits in the bottom of the loaf tin. This was then put to rest in the fridge while I took my daughter to York.
After a couple of hours I was back home panicking as I had not had chance to buy any gelatine. This was a cheesecake that had to set in the fridge with gelatine, not a baked one so I had to hope for the best.
I beat in low fat cream cheese, light sour cream, sugar, vanilla extract, lemon and lime zest into a big bowl and then added in some lemon juice.
After this I added some freshly squeezed lime juice. At this stage the prepared leaf gelatine should have been mixed in but this wasn’t to be!
This is the only size loaf tin I have and it was very full and runny. I had to carry it very carefully over to the fridge. This was very difficult as our fridge door always swings shut unless you hold the door with your right hand and the other hand has to hold the food. I had to ask my hubby to hold the door for me!
Well, due to the lack of gelatine the cheesecake did not set properly. We ended up with no pudding for our Sunday meal as it clearly wasn’t ready. It stayed in the fridge overnight until Monday. I got in from work and poked the top of the cheesecake in the fridge. The top looked set but as I got it out and tried to cut it I realised it wasn’t a knife I needed but a spoon!
I was so ashamed of what the cheesecake turned out like that I didn’t take a photo. I put a couple of spoonfuls into a bowl and really enjoyed the taste of it. It was sloppy so was more like a lemon and lime possett than a cheesecake. No one else really fancied it in that state and sadly as I couldn’t over indulge due to my diet it ended up in the bin. All because I forgot the gelatine! I’ll definitely make it again though.
Love Sam xx